[Zope3-dev] RFC: move 'App' out of 'Zope'

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:44:43 -0500

I thought (agonized) long and hard about this proposal and the supporting comments
that it recieved for the following reason:

- The Zope "brand" extends to more than just the application server.
   Software developede as part of the overall Zope effort should be part
   of the zope package.

   I would make an exception to this for anything that makes it into the standard
   Python library.

   Similarly, I think of ZODB as a special case because it has a large and active
   community of it's own at this point. Despite that I would have moved zodb under zope,
   but decided to defer to Jeremy.

- Given the above bullet, I can't think of a better name than "app" for the application-
   level code.  A longer name would have been clearer, but less convenient.

- While I would have been willing to consider alternatives if we had time, we didn't
   have time.

Thanks for all the import. While it didn't change anything in this case, it was not
ignored.