[Zope3-dev] The Rotterdam skin is now the default

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 08:11:39 -0500

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
> At 13:49 28/12/2002, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I made the new skin developed at the sprintathon the default
>> skin the other day. I'd line to get some input and help on it,
>> especially before the alpha.
>>
>> My biggest worry about it at this point is that it is too wide.
>> It wants at wants a 1024-pixel wide window, which is too wide
>> imo. I would much rather have it work correctly in 800 pixels.
>

> Main template was really setup by Alexander and Jan Wijbrand. Please you
> two, enter the dance.

Don't take my concern as an edict. :)
I'd be OK with leaving the UI wide for the alpha and getting
more feedback.

> Or I suppose we will need to take decisions without you ;-).
>
> I think the alpha could live without the global elements bar and
> Metadata and item help boxes.

Do you know what should be in the meta data and item help boxes?

Some other things we could so to make things "skinner":

- Make it so the boxes worked well when they are thin:

   - Multi-word box titles should wrap without overrunning other bits.
     This means probably making the box heading boxes for just those
     boxes higher.

   - Think of short action names. David Murrey pointed out that they should
     be verbs (or should they), but they should be short to fit in the boxes.

- Convert more management views to actions. The obvious candidates for me
   are security views.

IN fact, I'm sure the current UI could work in 800 pixels with some
minor fixes.

I'd be happy to help make the meta data and item help work if
I know what the heck they were.

> I am willing to work on the skin; first things I'll do :
> - asynchronous load of tree

   If this is a performace thing, it should wait for post alpha.

   BTW, I think caching was broken for resources and I think I fixed
   that yesterday.

> - error handling ;-)
> - stating that user needs Mozilla or IE6.

Cool. You might also direct them to use
++skin++basic if they have another browser.

> Waiting for suggestions.

In addition to the above:

- It would be great if the navigation box worked
   for non-containers. It should work by finding the
   nearest container and using that.

- I'm still a little puzzled by "common tasks".

   It's currently a *really nice* add list.  I'd
   like to figure out what this is supposed to do
   and make sure we are exposing it the way we want to.