[Zope3-dev] The Rotterdam skin is now the default

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:11:28 -0700

On Sunday, December 29, 2002, at 06:11  AM, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
>> At 13:49 28/12/2002, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I made the new skin developed at the sprintathon the default
>>> skin the other day. I'd line to get some input and help on it,
>>> especially before the alpha.
>>>
>>> My biggest worry about it at this point is that it is too wide.
>>> It wants at wants a 1024-pixel wide window, which is too wide
>>> imo. I would much rather have it work correctly in 800 pixels.
>> Main template was really setup by Alexander and Jan Wijbrand. Please
>> you two, enter the dance.
>
> Don't take my concern as an edict. :)
> I'd be OK with leaving the UI wide for the alpha and getting
> more feedback.
>
>> Or I suppose we will need to take decisions without you ;-).
>> I think the alpha could live without the global elements bar and
>> Metadata and item help boxes.

I agree.  In the version of Plone that I'm setting up for internal use,
I turned off the right side column.  I feel that three layout columns
is just too restrictive on space.  I'd rather have all such boxes be on
one side, perhaps with the ability to show and hide them if the browser
allows (Microsoft's website is peppered with such boxes that can be
collapsed down to their title bar).

> Do you know what should be in the meta data and item help boxes?
>
> Some other things we could so to make things "skinner":
>
> - Make it so the boxes worked well when they are thin:
>
>   - Multi-word box titles should wrap without overrunning other bits.
>     This means probably making the box heading boxes for just those
>     boxes higher.
>
>   - Think of short action names. David Murrey pointed out that they
> should
>     be verbs (or should they), but they should be short to fit in the
> boxes.

I'm getting some wrapping on my browser that had me thinking that "Zope
Page Template" and "Page" were seperate things to add, and not a single
item.  I'm also seeing::

   Manage local
   Services
   Add

In my root folder's 'actions' box.  I'm not sure if these things can be
shortened easily, but right now there's nothing distinguishing that
'Services' belongs to the line above it.

> - Convert more management views to actions. The obvious candidates for
> me
>   are security views.
>
> IN fact, I'm sure the current UI could work in 800 pixels with some
> minor fixes.
>
> I'd be happy to help make the meta data and item help work if
> I know what the heck they were.
>
>> I am willing to work on the skin; first things I'll do :
>> - asynchronous load of tree
>
>   If this is a performace thing, it should wait for post alpha.
>
>   BTW, I think caching was broken for resources and I think I fixed
>   that yesterday.
>
>> - error handling ;-)
>> - stating that user needs Mozilla or IE6.
>
> Cool. You might also direct them to use
> ++skin++basic if they have another browser.

Does it need Mozilla-Mozilla, or should a Gecko based alternate such as
Chimera work?  I'm not seeing the Navigation tree (Chimera 0.6 - Dec 20
2002 build).  The rest of it looks fine.