[Zope3-dev] Twisted as server

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:38:38 -0500

    SR> Kapil showed me a version of Zope 3 running off Twisted. As
    SR> far as I understand it, Twisted is more object-oriented and
    SR> support already many more protocols than Medusa. I would
    SR> really like to see Twisted to become the standard Zope
    SR> server. This way I can implement native SMTP (thinking Mailman
    SR> 3.0 here) and IRC servers using Zope, which I think is really
    SR> cool. ;-)

    SR> What are you opinions? Kapil, how much would it take to put
    SR> Twisted into the Zope 3?

I had some discussion w/ Moshe about it, and it sounds really cool.
It would be awesome, for example, if you could distribute a turnkey
ZMailman system, with none of the typical fragile glue between web
servers and MTAs (not to mention NNTP servers :).

MTAs of course, have lots of important properties that I don't know
whether the Twisted guys have thought about, such as delivery to
mailboxes, retry deliveries, MX lookups, etc.  You could probably
start with a simple Twisted framework for incoming mail only, which
would hand off to Mailman and be done with it.  There's no reason why
you couldn't (initially) run a separate industrial strength MTA for
outgoing that listened on other-than-port-25 from localhost.  It would
handle all the fault tolerant messages coming /out/ of Mailman.

-Barry