[Zope3-dev] Chapter 1 Step 6 now available

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:19:13 -0500

Casey Duncan wrote:

 > Thanks for the writeup, it makes grasping this much easier for us "jargon
 > deficient" folks. Now who was the bloody fool that named this thing a
 > decorator? All it brings to mind for me is some effeminate guy who is going
 > to come over and put up some new drapes, slip covers and a few throw
 > pillows in my living room 8^).

My problem with Decorator is that it is the name of a recognized
GoF design pattern;  the Decorator pattern is somewhat like
adapter, in that the decorating object wraps the decorated,
but distinct in that the "depended on" and "provided" interfaces
are the same.

Maybe I misread Steve's description, and the GoF pattern actually
fits.

 > Isn't this just mixing classes together dynamically at run-time instead of
 > statically ala Zope2?
 >
 > I think the damn thing should be called a mixer. But then again, what do I
 > know...

Tres.