[Zope3-dev] The Proposed Catalog Sprint Agenda is available

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:04:21 +0100

Gary Poster wrote:
> From: "Martijn Faassen" <faassen@vet.uu.nl>
>
> > I'd like to add some form of XML storage (in the ZODB presumably) as
> > another kind of black box data jar for consideration, along with the
> > previous use case.
>
> I can't decide if your problem really describes a storage issue or an index
> issue.  I would tend to say index, but I'm not sure, so I will record it in
> the doc with the arbitrary storage stuff.

I think it's an index issue. I've whipped up my own now, but basically
the idea is that you want to catalog an XML document, but what is stored
as object references is not a reference to the XML document, but instead
references to particular DOM nodes in that document. So you're cataloging
or uncataloging an object, but a whole bunch of references is kept in the
catalog instead of just one. Another case might be folder contents;
imagine you want to get a list of all objects in Folders, but catalog
and uncatalog Folders instead of the individual objects in the folder.

It may be that this is solvable, even easily, with the current catalog.
But I'm not sure how, so I wrote my own XPathIndex, which is simple but
seems to work okay.

Regards,

Martijn