[Zope3-dev] Managing via Component Interfaces TTW

Gary Poster Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:51:35 -0500

To ZC folks, and then to the rest of us, I suppose, if the answer is "no":

The first stumbling block I've encountered in thinking of my Zope work in a
component/Zope 3 sort of way is this: while we can specify metatypes through
the web because they are merely strings, how can we specify interfaces in
the same way?  Has this problem been considered, and is there a solution in
mind?

This would be pertinent to, for instance, these small use case snippets:

  * having a folder in which you can specify through the web that only
objects that implement certain interfaces can reside there (a la what
OrderedFolder does with metatypes)
  * having a catalog index that can return objects that implement a certain
interface

I imagine there are others.  Any ideas?  A string, like the metatype, is
limiting in many regards, but its simplicity is very convenient for web
work.

Gary