[Zope3-dev] Managing via Component Interfaces TTW

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:55:46 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Gary Poster wrote:

> In response, all I wanted to know was
> a) in practical terms, does this mean the metatype string will be replaced
> by, in essence, a sequence of metatype-like strings (the "label"
> interfaces)?

Something like that.  Objects will have interfaces attached to them, some
of which might be label interfaces.

> b) does this also mean that the *actual* component interfaces, set up in
> __implements__, will not be identifiable via a string representation (such
> as a path that can accurately be translated to an interface object) in the
> current plan?

It won't be necessary IMHO for all interfaces to be identifiable as a
simple string, which would be limiting.  I think you'll also be able to
create "real" interfaces through the web, but when you do that you'll be
wearing a "coder" hat, similar to today when you create ZClasses.  To use
label interfaces you only have to put on an "application integrator" hat,
like you do today when creating CMF types.

Clear as mud? :-)

Shane