[Zope3-dev] Managing via Component Interfaces TTW

Gary Poster Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:42:40 -0500

From: "Shane Hathaway" <shane@zope.com>
> Objects will have interfaces attached to them, some
> of which might be label interfaces.

'K.  Got it.  Thanks.  This gets into namespace kind of issues (e.g.,
product makers might decide independently that *their* product implements
the "widget" label interface, but that means two different things to the two
products), just like the metatype, but I don't know if I see a better
solution (except maybe see below).

> It won't be necessary IMHO for all interfaces to be identifiable as a
> simple string, which would be limiting.  I think you'll also be able to
> create "real" interfaces through the web, but when you do that you'll be
> wearing a "coder" hat, similar to today when you create ZClasses.  To use
> label interfaces you only have to put on an "application integrator" hat,
> like you do today when creating CMF types.
>
> Clear as mud? :-)

yes, or rather, no, it's clear...and many of those ideas sound interesting
and powerful.  And I have an idea.

How about a simple way for product authors to mount references to their key
interfaces in the ZODB.  It would basically be a transparent wrapper around
the actual interface object, that provided persistence, maybe a text view of
the interface declaration for the ZMI, and access to all of the methods of
the wrapped interface for python scripts etc.  Ideally these interface
wrappers would be installed automatically in the control panel products
list, with some clear mechanism for product authors to follow to highlight
their important interfaces.  Thus, key interfaces could be referred to TTW
(and also easily within a catalog index etc.) merely by a standard path
mechanism.  Interfaces that are not likely to be pertinent to TTW management
or cataloging are not highlighted by the product authors, and thus do not
bloat the ZODB unnecessarily.

Thoughts?

Gary