[Zope3-dev] Managing via Component Interfaces TTW

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:04:12 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Gary Poster wrote:
> How about a simple way for product authors to mount references to their key
> interfaces in the ZODB.  It would basically be a transparent wrapper around
> the actual interface object, that provided persistence, maybe a text view of
> the interface declaration for the ZMI, and access to all of the methods of
> the wrapped interface for python scripts etc.  Ideally these interface
> wrappers would be installed automatically in the control panel products
> list, with some clear mechanism for product authors to follow to highlight
> their important interfaces.  Thus, key interfaces could be referred to TTW
> (and also easily within a catalog index etc.) merely by a standard path
> mechanism.  Interfaces that are not likely to be pertinent to TTW management
> or cataloging are not highlighted by the product authors, and thus do not
> bloat the ZODB unnecessarily.

You have some good ideas there.  Note that:

1) You can persist references to real interfaces in the ZODB (although
it's not done properly yet today) similar to the way ZODB persists class
references.  It stores just the module and name.

2) The control panel will no longer persist product objects and might not
even need to show the list of products since services might be a better
place.

3) Today there are significant differences between programming through the
web and programming on the filesystem.  Zope 3 is trying to reduce the
differences.  Your idea goes in that direction, but I would say every
component on the filesystem ought to be accessible in some way through the
web.

Shane