[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 learning curve?

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:55:03 -0500

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 12:29 pm, Chris Withers allegedly wrote:
[snip]

> Open Source is a land of fly by night, one shot, cowboy developers not
> architects and long term devotees...

That may be true in many cases. My opinion is that Zope is on the cusp of
becoming an exceptional open source project. And that may allow it to be an
exception to that rule as others are.

One major reason that I think this is so is that more people (like me) are
making their living doing Zope work, and those that are inclined will be
regular long-term contributors, to support their own vested interests.

That said, I think it is wrong to think that the community will do the
majority of the architecture of Zope 3 or beyond (Zope 4K?). I would think it
would be in ZC's best interest to continue to take that lead. However, I
think the grunt work of implementation and maintainence will be shifted over
to the community in the long term. Since probably more than 90% of Zope was
written by ZC, even a 75%-25% split would be a big change.

Of course open source is a scratch-thine-itch culture. I see Zope 3 as a way
for the scratching to be made easier thus lowering the bar for "fly-by-night"
contributors and long-termers alike. Kind of an open source emery board... 8^)

  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org