[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 learning curve?

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:20:55 -0600

> > BUT, to develop the service called IRDBConnections and all the stuff around
> > for Zope 3 in the first place requires a fairly sophisticated understanding
> > of the system itself.
>
>*shrugs* Just a different mindset. To do an interface, all you have to do is
>abstract away from implementations and define the services that a given
>piece of
>functionality would need to supply, regardless of the implementation...

Well, the interfaces are the easy part; but how is it all going to work
together? That is the more interesting question.

>Well, I think once the interfaces are done (and they shouldn't be too
>hard) then
>it doesn't really matter. We'll see simple implementations first with more
>robust and scalable implementations later.

True, but it all has to work together. The components cannot just
communicate magically.

>  That said, ZC may have trouble
>outsourcing the whole development burden to the community; if that
>happens, Zope
>will either die as people will move to other, better supported, tool sets or
>people will stick with Zope 2 until something better comes along...

I disagree. I am very interested in helping to develop Zope 3, since I can
put in some of my personal experiences, such as making Formulator one of
the core components.

Also, I think the point you mentioned is also the reason why the component
architecture will be very suitable. People produce very functional code in
very little time.

>Open Source is a land of fly by night, one shot, cowboy developers not
>architects and long term devotees...

I disagree. I am now already devoted to Zope for 2.5 years. And with every
minute I spend coding for or within it, I get more involved. If the Zope
community would only consist of cowboys, we would be in bad shape.

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter