Desktop Zope (Re: [Zope3-dev] thoughts on zope application prototyping)

Lalo Martins lalo@laranja.org
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:33:43 -0200

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 01:10:11AM +0900, Joseph Wayne Norton wrote:

> p.s. Assuming all of the above is possible, the next natural step
> would then be to deploy zope-based applications not for the data
> center but simply for the desktop.  A python/zope/zodb based framework
> for desktop applications could be very powerful and provide another
> channel for deploying zope-based products.  A desktop zope server
> coupled with a data-center zeo server could be another possibility.

Darn, you read my mind.

I have been fiddling with this idea for the past few months -
not actually "Zope desktop", but rather, a desktop sibling based
on ZODB and any other parts of the framework that seem
pertinent. I put the project aside by late 2001 because the
Zope3 framework seemed much more promising to this project, so I
decided to wait at least for an usable ZODB4.

Rather than Tkinter, I was thinking about rendering into Anygui
(www.anygui.org) which in turn can render to Tkinter, wx, MS
Windows, Qt, Bethon, Swing (on Jython) and, well, you get the
idea. It's still in development, but then again, so is Zope3.

(The reason why I didn't want to put the whole Zope woolahoop in
the package is that I'd prefer to keep this project leaner;
ideally, it should run on the 10MB cramfs / 3MB flash / 8MB ram
of my Agenda PDA.)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
  It doesn't bother me that people say things like
   "you'll never get anywhere with this attitude".

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)      ---       http://www.BroDar.org/