[Zope3-dev] Associations

Gary Poster Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:39:18 -0500

> From: "Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net>
> As I say at the end, I will put this up in the Fishbowl if I get
> encouragement on it, and won't if I don't.  This is a feeler.
<snip>

The silence is deafening.  OK.

> From: "R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com>
<snip>
> If you've got data whose movement
> would be a problem, don't allow it to be moved.  Store all the
> objects in a btree, say, and provide an API to the rest of your
> app for getting those objects.
<snip>

One of the reasons I moved away from ZPatterns in my planning was that it
did not match my use cases.  Unfortunately, your solution shares that
characteristic.

Requiring objects that need relations to only be stored in an isolated data
store is acceptable if you move away from a standard Zope structure, but if
you want, for instance, CMF members to be able to add objects that can
relate and be related to, while remaining in their folders for security and
organization reasons, the solution is untenable.

A solution for a basic problem like joins that requires a Zope programmer to
break the standard Zope design patterns is problematic in its own way, IMO.

Gary