[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Zope3 and Zope2's version object

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:13:41 -0500

> I like the concept of object revisions, and I think that's the right
> word to describe them.  A particular object revision is uniquely named
> by the object id and its serial number.

It's clear from this discussion that the words "revision" and
"version" are closely associated in many people's minds, which means
that using both for different concepts in the same context is asking
for trouble.  I'm fine with keeping the term "revision", even though
"version" is probably the more common term for this concept.

> But I'm +1 on renaming ZODB's
> "versions" to something better, and "locks" seems about right given
> its functionality.

Agreed.  But ZODB's "version" interface does more than locking
objects: it also stores modified *revisions* of the locked objects in
the database.  (In fact this seems the only way to lock an object.)
Is that really necessary?  Isn't it enough to store locking
informantion in the database?