[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 learning curve?

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:16:59 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Chris Withers wrote:

> Lennart Regebro wrote:
> >
> > I think there is no doubt that Zope 3 will have a higher learner threshold
> > than Zope 2. After all, you can just compare the Zope 3 tutorial with the
> > BoringProduct explanation. There will be more things to understand before
> > you can make a complete product.
>
> If that _is_ true, then Zope 3 _will_ fail.

Is the premise really valid?  Are the tutorials really comparable?

I think the Zope 3 tutorial gets you seriously acquainted with a
significant portion of the Zope 3 architecture, as well as its use, and i
don't have the impression that the BoringProduct explanation equips you
near as well to understand the Zope 2 architecture.  I may be wrong,
though (i'm in transit, can't check right now).

Some people seem to not have had as much difficulty as, eg, i had with
getting our minds around the Zope 2 architecture.  Still, i believe that
many people find Zope 2 more difficult than it could be, and that Zope 3
as a system is *much* more comprehensible than Zope 2 - more regular and
clean - and that will make all the difference in the world.

--
Ken
klm@zope.com