[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 learning curve?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:37:42 +0000

Casey Duncan wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 January 2002 12:29 pm, Chris Withers allegedly wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Open Source is a land of fly by night, one shot, cowboy developers not
> > architects and long term devotees...
>
> That may be true in many cases. My opinion is that Zope is on the cusp of
> becoming an exceptional open source project. And that may allow it to be an
> exception to that rule as others are.

To stress again, by cowboys, I meant people who can only afford to do short
bursts of development relevent to themselves... to be able to work like that and
make a real contribution would be exceptionally cool :-)

> One major reason that I think this is so is that more people (like me) are
> making their living doing Zope work, and those that are inclined will be
> regular long-term contributors, to support their own vested interests.

I suppose so, although that opens up the other can of worms; getting Zope into
the corporate work where, if it ain't J2EE and Oracle, you ain't gonna get it in
;-) (especially given the fact that J2EE is way more mature (and hence probabyl
stable) than Zope right now and is also true multi-vendor rather than being
single vendor + open source )

> That said, I think it is wrong to think that the community will do the
> majority of the architecture of Zope 3 or beyond (Zope 4K?). I would think it
> would be in ZC's best interest to continue to take that lead.

Indeed, particularly to make sure the architecture is spot on and there isn't an
excessive ammount of crap in the core distribution...

> However, I
> think the grunt work of implementation and maintainence will be shifted over
> to the community in the long term.

Bugfixes and the like, yeah...

> Of course open source is a scratch-thine-itch culture. I see Zope 3 as a way
> for the scratching to be made easier thus lowering the bar for "fly-by-night"
> contributors and long-termers alike. Kind of an open source emery board... 8^)

Indeed, that's what I'm hoping the component architecture will provide :-)

cheers,

Chris