[Zope3-dev] Associations

Casey Duncan casey_duncan@yahoo.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:23:49 -0800 (PST)

Cool, I definitely think an interface layer that sits
somewhere between a BTree and the current catalog is a
very practical idea that could have many uses.

On a slightly lower level note: What is the current
state of the thinking for a Zope events system that
can allow this type of system to be practical?

That is something to replace the current afterAdd,
beforeDelete hooks, etc. hopefully in a more robust
form. I think that needs to be worked out before
something like this will be truely useful.

Also, are we satisfied with the current conflict
managment as it pertains to BTrees? Is it adequate to
prevent this from being a major conflict hotspot like
Catalog is (or at least has been)? (I guess I am
speaking to likely implementations here)

Also, on a thornier note, how does indexing deal with
versions or whatever revision control Zope3 will have?
Currently, versions are pretty much crippled if you
have catalog aware content, since changes done in a
version lock the catalog so that no changes outside
the version can be made concurrently on any cataloged
content. Granted, from what I have been hearing,
versions as we know them are dead or dying, and if
that is true, we need to make any new revision system
work with indexing somehow...

Just some misc thoughts and concerns.

-Casey