[Zope3-dev] Schemas

Magnus Heino magnus.heino@pleon.sigma.se
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:30:38 +0200

>>Imho, forms and validation as done in ASP.NET is really nice.
>

> Please send me a brief summary about the stuff; I am not going to read many
> hundred pages now (I don't have the time for that). Also, Schemas + Forms

Well the summary from ;
http://www.vbcentral.net/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webvalidation.aspx

    1. Validator controls can be used to validate input on any Web Forms
page.
    2. More than one control can be used on a given input field.
    3. Client-side validation may be used in addition to server
validation to improve form usability.
    4. The CustomValidator control lets the user define custom
validation criteria.

I guess 1 and 4 are available in Formulator today.

The nice thing about 3, is that you get it without writing any code
yourself, if the browser supports the javascript.

So if you create a form with some EMail-validator, the code created and
sent to the browser will include client-side validation, if supported by
the browser. If not, only server-side validation will be done. Well,
serverside validation will ofcourse always happen.

If the validation fails, on server or client, you will get the form back
with error messages and the values you have entered. You don't have to
write anything extra to get the postback with the values you have
already entered.

> will work almost exactly like Formulator (which you can download for Zope 2),
> so you can see how it works.

Yes, I'm already using that.

/Magnus