[Zope3-dev] Schemas

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:07:33 +0200

Stephan Richter wrote:
> > > Please send me a brief summary about the stuff; I am not going to read
> > > many hundred pages now (I don't have the time for that).
> >
> > I suggest it is not possible to write a decent schema implementation
> > without some thought and architecture. If you don't have time to do this
> > research, then I suggest you don't write Zope 3's schema architecture.
>
> Well, but I need them NOW for a project I get actually partially paid for. Jim
> mentioned already in April that we really need Schemas for a lot of stuff. I
> waited very patiently until now not to work on it, but I need it now and I
> will finish at least what I need.

Yes, but you rushed ahead doing a lot of stuff you could've avoided,
if you'd actually waited for me to get back to you. After all I had not
entirely disappeared from the scene; I was working on some issues with
R.D. Murray just thursday on irc -- friday and saturday I was moving house, and
you just suddenly decide going off on your own. Some of the stuff you did
is nice (validator framework, though it need some refactoring). Some I liked
a lot less; see today's checkin messages.

> If you would read all the docu out there on this stuff you never get done
> implementing anything!

Then you can at least talk to the others already working on this who *have*
at least done some research before you go ahead.

Announcing it on a saturday and then going ahead with it all after
some hours is *not* a good idea if you're not up to speed on a module, right?
You reversed some refactorings we did at the Zope3 sprint; what use
is that?

> If I do a mistake and people don't like my
> implementation they can always change it (after a proposal). As long as they
> make all the tests pass, I am fine.

Oh, I didn't see any proposals from you and you changed quite a lot of
the implementation. Oh wait, you proposed the name change, but didn't wait
for my feedback before going ahead..

Basically we could've avoided at least a few hours of frustrating and
useless work.

Mind, some of the stuff you did is good.

> > > Also, Schemas + Forms
> > > will work almost exactly like Formulator (which you can download for Zope
> > > 2), so you can see how it works.
> >
> > In my mind, Schemas + Forms work quite a bit differently from Zope 2's
> > Formulator.
>
> Only technically. The effect at least for the Form part is pretty much the
> same.

I thought we were working on the technology here. Zope works differently
from PHP also 'only technically'.

Anyway, you are right I don't have a lot of time to work on this
stuff and I'm glad you're doing some development. Your initiative is good.
I'm just very frustrated by the way you did this.

Regards,

Martijn