[Zope3-dev] Voting on Schema design

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:16:40 +0200

Stephan Richter wrote:
> > If they always directly coorespond to Python types, then I would be
> > inclined to match names with Python.
>
> Well, the basic Fields are directly map, but there might be many, many more.
> For example there will be a DateTimeField or maybe even an E-mail field.
> Well, what about Points, Money, IP and MAC addresses and so on...

Those should use the long names; I don't think that is an issue with
people. Just like in Python classes generally have longer names, but not
for the built-in type/classes such as 'int'.

> > If they do not, then I prefer the longer names. And I would only use the
> > name Dictionary if it is semantically equivilant to a Python dict.
> > Otherwise another name might be better.
>
> Right, I agree.

I think the current implementation tries to be semantically equivalent, right?

> > I find this whole Zope package thing quite confusing 8^) (but I know it
> > makes Jim happy). Just stick it in site-packages... ;^)
>
> :-) Just think a little bit in terms of Java. :-)

But then still what is the difference between 'Interfaces are useful
outside Zope and therefore should be in lib/python' and 'Schema are
useful outside Zope and therefore should be in lib/python/Zope, where
'Zope' is a kind of namespace to put all Zope packages under'.

Why the one in the former and not in the latter? Anyway, I don't really
care much where Schema end up, lib/python/Zope or lib/python..

Regards,

Martijn