[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 08:55:40 +0100

As a total outsider at the moment, I think both Shane and Stephan have valid
points.

However, one of two things might make it easier:

1. If ZCMl was parsed into an object similar to the one Shane proposes, then
either could be used.

2. If (1) is not possible, then enabling either ZCML or a Python object to be
'parsed' into whatever ZCML is currently parsed into would mean people could
choose to use either as they saw fit.

Some other things I'd like to throw into the mix:

- My take on Zope 3 was that it was going to make things simpler. However, even
now, you need to know Python, ZPT, ZCML, and (if the laggards have their way)
DTML before you can do anything useful. Is needing to know four languages to use
one framework acceptable?

- While the people currently working on Zope 3 probably all understand XML,
namespaces and the concepts of overriding higher up, are these concepts going to
be easily understandable by new users? If not, then will an alternate and
simpler method be provided?

Anyway, it is a hard problem so good luck to you guys trying to solve it...

cheers,

Chris