[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:34:02 -0400

Florent Guillaume writes:
 > I'm not very well versed in these topics, but I'm wondering if RDF
 > wouldn't be a better framework for expressing configuration directives.
 > Probably a bit more verbose than simple XML though.

Using RDF would be a complete disaster!

The current XML is not perfect by any means; there are too many pointy
brackets for the admin types who need to be able to edit the stuff
occaissionally.  RDF would make that much worse; the level of
verbosity would be incredible, even if you dropped the XML encoding
and used Notation 3.

The configuration data could certainly be stored as RDF, but the model
would be painful for people to work with.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation