[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Philipp von Weitershausen philikon@gmx.net
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 14:22:34 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>You gotta be kidding. It was *you* who recommended *not* using Python
>>for configuration after you saw Python used for configuration early
>>on.
>

> I certainly didn't propose XML as an alternative.  I find XML
> inappropriate when a human has to edit it (except in emergencies).

Well, I guess this is totally a matter of taste. I like editing XML by
hand because it is very structured. And XML was designed to be
human-readable.

Also, I don't agree with you in that a site administrator who doesn't
know Python also doesn't know XML. XML as a universal data format (not a
language, obviously) should not only be known my all people who deal
with web servers but I think it already *is* well-known among them. If
not, it doesn't take all that much time to learn it.

Python, on the other hand, does a lot more than just data description.
As a programming language, it relies on syntax, code blocks etc. etc.
This would make it more likely for people to make mistakes when they
don't know Python.

Phil