[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:26:01 +0100

Jeffrey P Shell wrote:

> Because I'm really really really not looking forward to SSH-ing into a local
> ISP hosting a Zope 3 site I helped develop and debug ZCML files for them in
> VI and have to deal with namespaces and things stacked in attributes written
> with no regard for the eighty column rule.  Ever edited XML where a tag had
> eighteen attributes on one line?  Sucky.

I'm not planning to give further opinion on this issue, but I do want to
reply to factual errors.

You'll notice that my example comes in at under 80 columns, and still
would do if you add more attributes. There are examples of this now in
the zope3 source. I've been through every zcml file in the zope source.
I believe that the only case where a line exceeds 80 characters is where
a fully qualified class name plus attribute name and punctuation exceeds
that length.

    <security:permission
        id="Zope.Manage"
        title="Manage Contacts"/>

    <content class="Zope.Contact.">
      <security:require
          permission="Zope.View"
          attributes="name first last email address postal_code fish tree
                      fluid aardvark bonobo ocelot jackdaw haddock" />
      <zmi:factory
          id="Zope.Contact"
          permission="Zope.Manage"
          title="Contact" />