[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 06:32:47 -0500

At 05:46 PM 6/4/02 -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:

><permission id="Zope.Manage">Manage Contacts</permission>
>
><content class="Zope.Contact.">
>  <require permission="Zope.View">
>   <attribute>name</attribute>
>   <attribute>first</attribute>
>   <attribute>last</attribute>
>   <attribute>email</attribute>
>   <attribute>address</attribute>
>   <attribute>postal_code</attribute>
>  </require>
>  <require permission="Zope.Manage">
>   <zmi-factory id="Zope.Contact">
>    <title>Contact</title>
>   </zmi-factory>
>  </require>
></content>

-10.  <shudder>.   I absolutely cannot *stand* this kind of XML.  I hate it
with a virulent, albeit irrational, passion.  (Probably due to having to
write code to process XMI 1.0, which only supports this sort of thing; XMI
1.1 can use attributes the way God intended them to be.)

While I could maybe believe that site admins can't deal with XML
namespaces, I really don't believe that they can't handle attributes.  HTML
is full of attributes!

To be honest, I'm pretty puzzled by this idea that the kind of formatting
above is "conventional XML", because every time I see that style, I *cringe*.