[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Luciano Ramalho ramalho@hiper.com.br
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:12:29 -0300

Chris Withers wrote:
>>><content class=3D"Zope.Contact.">
>>>  <require permission=3D"Zope.View">
>>>   <attribute>name</attribute>

[versus]

>>   <content class=3D"Zope.Contact.">
>>     <security:require
>>         permission=3D"Zope.View"
>>         attributes=3D"name first last email address postal_code" />

> Sorry, I gotta agree with Shane on this one...

I also agree with Shane.

A major drawback of relying so much on the attributes is that tools that=20
help viewing and editing XML work better when the "payload" is in the=20
contents of the elements, and not in attributes.

One example of such a tool is Internet Explorer, which displays XML=20
source with collapsible elements (like an outliner). With Shane=B4s=20
syntax, I can use IE to hide the contents of directives that do not=20
interest me. With Jim=B4s original syntax, IE can=B4t help much.

Analyzing both styles with XML Spy I also felt that Shane=B4s was easier=20
to navigate (although this tool handled both formats very well).

Hoping-never-to-edit-any-ZCML-by-hand-ly yours,

Luciano