[Zope3-dev] spelling of namespace signifiers

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 18:28:34 +0100

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 June 2002 12:42, Florent Guillaume wrote:
>
>>Casey Duncan  <casey@zope.com> wrote:
>>
>>>container/view--bar.html (et al)
>>>
>>>has been suggested as a fix for the ills of the above. -- would need to
>>>be made illegal in an id for that to work. Dash already has the
>>>advantage of not being legal in a Python identifier.
>>
>>But I thought we were about to remove all restrictions on zope ids,
>>giving them full Unicode range. Please don't tell me I can't have "." or
>>"-" in an id, that's even worse than disallowing "é".
>

> Well, we need some delimiter. It has to be one from the ASCII range,

It isn't as bad as that.

You will be allowed to have "-" in an id.

You will not be allowed to have ascii letters followed by two dashes
followed by at least one other valid identifier character as an id.

If you really see this restriction being a problem, then I suggest using
the longer version

   container/--view-somepage.html

or

   container/view---somepage.html

instead.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any ids on their sites which
follow the form name--something_else.extn

--
Steve Alexander