[Zope3-dev] spelling of namespace signifiers

Tim Hoffman timhoffman@cams.wa.gov.au
06 Jun 2002 09:50:48 +0800

Hi

I would argue strongly against anything that was
like container/view---sompage.html

I have in my time seen people encode file names to have some significant
meaning and use things like '-' as essentially field seperators, so that
a-b-c-x.txt would allow you to derive some meaning from the file name

a--c-x.txt just meant you did have a value for the second field,

Have a look at some of the software in the petroleum market, they=20
use all sorts of interesting and really long file names to encode things
like grid or lat/lon co-ords for map data in the file name.

I personally think if you are going to do something with a
fairly conventional and often used character like '-' you should
at least use '--' as a prefix, which I personally have seen more rarely
and file names with leading '-' characters in Unix are a pain
because the command line tends to interpret them as args, so you have to
jump through hoops to use them as file args, so leading '-' tend not to
be used as much.

I personally use - seperate different parts of file names a lot, just
cause lots of '.' screw with window software.

again just my 2c worth

Rgds

Tim