[Zope3-dev] spelling of namespace signifiers

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:21:01 +0100

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

 > Steve
> Alexander's urllib test aside, there are actually several characters
> besides '_', '-', and '.' which are not URL-encoded.  urllib.quote() is
> enormously overzealous when compared to the URL RFC's as well as the
> actual browser implementations out there.

Indeed.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html

    Thus, only alphanumerics, the special characters "$-_.+!*'(),", and
    reserved characters used for their reserved purposes may be used
    unencoded within a URL.

> It's also arguably broken for
> doing path segments anyway since it doesn't quote '/'!  I'll address the
> issue of available characters in a seperate post, however, once I've
> concluded my review of the RFC's and done some browser tests.  So far, I
> think there is a very strong possibility that there are *many* "nice",
> non-ugly characters we can use.

Another one for your collection:

   container/(view)index.html  was mentioned on the IRC channel today.

> What I intend to do is create a small "test suite" of directories and
> pages with weird characters in their URLs, and with relative and
> absolute links in and among the pages.  I'll then post the URLs here for
> people to test against "non-mainstream" browsers, and see what ends up
> being quoted.  I'll include URLs that will do server-side redirects and
> client-side meta-refreshes, and maybe even a JavaScript location-setting
> or two.

Great.

> How does that sound?  Oh, and by the way, do we need these to work for
> FTP or any other URL schemes besides HTTP?  Please let me know so I can
> include them in the test suite if possible.  Thanks!

They will need to work for other schemes.

--
Steve Alexander