[Zope3-dev] Escape Character Summary Table

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:56:51 -0400

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 05:26 PM 6/6/02 +0100, Steve Alexander wrote:
>
>>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>
>>>Could you give more details or point me to a reference on this?  I don't
>>>know anything about "-remote".  Thanks.
>>
>>http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html
>>

>>Mozilla supports a similar feature.
>>

> Okay, so the problem here is that:
>
> netscape -remote 'openURL(http://foo.bar/baz,spam)'
>
> is interpreted as two arguments to openURL?  Is that correct?  Does quoting
> the URL fix it, i.e.:
>
> netscape -remote 'openURL("http://foo.bar/baz,spam")'
>
> And if so, is this an unacceptable cost?  Thanks.

On Mandrake (and probably RedHat, SuSE, Debian, etc.) the Mozilla RPMs
come with a handy shell script that launches either Mozilla or
mozilla-xremote-client depending on whether Mozilla is running or not.
I just ran the script with a URL that uses commas (a Vignette site) and
it worked without a hitch.

OTOH, now that I think of it, since Vignette uses commas so frequently,
giving commas special meaning in Zope URLs might make it harder for
Vignette users to convert to Zope.  Hmm.  Or maybe not.  With traversal
adapters, we can deal with that any number of ways.  Nope, I think this
isn't a problem. :-)

Shane