[Zope3-dev] Escape Character Summary Table

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:18:21 -0400

> Hm.  This seems to imply that the webbrowser module should URL-encode ",",
> although then that might break LDAP URLs.  Ugh.

Actually, "-" has the same problem -- and so has "(" and ")".  "+" is
safe though.

> Are the Python and Emacs uses of this the only ones we care about,
> or are there others?

I expect that Netscape's or Mozilla's -remote are widely used (at
least on Unix platforms).  E.g. my Linux box has a little gadget in
its KDE control bar that looks at my current X selection and if it
looks like an URL, offers to open in it Netscape.  It has the same
bug.