[Zope3-dev] ? vs $

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:55:02 -0600

On 6/13/02 2:35 PM, "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org> wrote:

> SteveA and I are confused why in a path in TALES you can use ? for
> expansion, but $ elsewhere.  E.g. you can write

> I believe that in string expressions you can use $foo to expand a
> variable:

> Why can't we use $jobid in the first example?

My guess is that it's because Zope id's can have $ in them (and even begin
with $), since $'s are allowable in URL's, but ? is not (since it separates
the query string part).  You can add an object named $foo to Zope today, but
not ?foo

Personally, I'd rather have to do a $$ style escape for those rare
circumstances.  I totally forgot that the ? option existed for TALES path
expressions.  Is it in Zope 2.5?

--
Jeffrey P Shell
www.cuemedia.com