[Zope3-dev] ? vs $

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:13:39 +0100

Jeffrey P Shell wrote:

> Personally, I'd rather have to do a $$ style escape for those rare
> circumstances.  I totally forgot that the ? option existed for TALES path
> expressions.

I'd much rather have an $$ escape where that is needed, but retain the
same rule about interpolating values.

I have seen code that uses python:path('foo/%s/baz' % bar)  rather than
foo/?bar/baz. I don't think the use of ? as an interpolation character
in path expressions is widely known. Which makes the case for switching
to $ all the more compelling: I'm sure there's not much legacy code to
change :-)

Actually, it wouldn't take much to support both syntaxes. I'd rather
that the ? syntax is deprecated though.

--
Steve Alexander