[Zope3-dev] Progress

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:06:30 +0100

Chris Withers wrote:
[snip a lot of stuff about test first, XP stuff, etc]

A general comment. I agree with Stephan that sometimes writing tests
first isn't the route *my* brain can handle; it indeeds requires a good
understanding of the problem domain, and sometimes the best way for me
to gain this understanding is to experiment or write a prototype; i.e.
write code before tests. One can have a whole religious debate about
extreme programming ideology, but we should be pragmatists first. And we
should realize not everyone's brain works in the same way, so we're
not all going to approach problems the same way. Some people are more
up-front design, some people are more hands-on.

That's not to say everyone should just get away with everything as
they can claim their brain is different -- just to provide a bit of
moderation into this debate. Unit tests good. Clear interfaces good.
We all agree on that.

I however agree with Chris' worry that lots of changes are going to be
checked in without a bit more debate. Is everything you're doing sitting
in one huge branch, Stephan? If so it seems better to split that up into
a number of branches, though I realize that's more inconvenient when
you're developing.

Regards,

Martijn