[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Container/Views/Browser- main.pt:1.1.2.2

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sat, 09 Mar 2002 18:37:12 +0000

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I would think an empty action would be illegal.

>>Would omitting the action altogether work?
>

> I doubt it.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1866.txt states:

  ACTION
             specifies the action URI for the form. The action URI of
             a form defaults to the base URI of the document

Also, from the DTD, we can see that form action is implied, and
therefore need not be explicitly stated.

<![ %HTML.Forms [

<!ELEMENT FORM - - %body.content -(FORM) +(INPUT|SELECT|TEXTAREA)>
<!ATTLIST FORM
         ACTION CDATA #IMPLIED
         METHOD (%HTTP-Method) GET
         ENCTYPE %Content-Type; "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
         %SDAPREF; "<Para>Form:</Para>"
         %SDASUFF; "<Para>Form End.</Para>"

So, according to the spec, simply omitting the "action" attribute will
do the right thing, as the document's base should be the URL of the view
component.

However, this does not account for non-compliant implementations in
browsers. But I'd rather have evidence of this non-compliance before
putting in workarounds.

--
Steve Alexander