[Zope3-dev] Proposal: More obvious TALES namespaces

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:21:02 +0000

This is a proposal to change the names of the TALES namespaces in Zope 3
to make their meaning more obvious.

This came out of a discussion at the NIP sprint, where Jim was
simplifying some unnecessarily hairy code I'd written, simply because
I'd not realised what "container" meant in Zope 3.

At present, a page template in Zope 3 provides (among others) these
namespaces:

   here       the content component

   container  the view component that is the view currently presented

I suggest renaming these to be:

   context    the content component

   view       the view component that is currently being presented

Actually, perhaps view should be "presentation", as it could be a
resource or other presentation component that is being presented.
However, "view" is nice because it is short and easy to remember.

Having "context" represent the content component is consisitent with
other uses of "context" and "getContext" in Zope 3.

If this proposal gets widespread support, and a nod from the pope, I
volunteer to make the required changes throughout the zope 3 branch.

--
Steve Alexander