[Zope3-dev] Can we remove ZopeLegacy for now?

Wade Leftwich wade@wvmm.net
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:57:39 -0500

On Sunday 17 March 2002 03:57 IDLE (International Date Line East, UTC+12),
Guido van Rossum wrote:
> [Guido]

[ ... ]
> IMO, EST and EDT are names for specific offsets from UTC (-5 and -4
> hours, respectively).  This can be seen as a simple function from UTC
> to local time (adding a fixed amount).
>

> On the other hand, US/Eastern names a more complex function from UTC
> to local time: this function sometimes subtracts 4 hours, and
> sometimes subtracts 5 hours.  The transition points (the UTC values
> where the offset changes) are also part of the function's definition.
> Note that the exact behavior of the function in the distant future is
> unknowable, and in the distant past it makes no sense, but for
> argument's sake, it is nevertheless extended indefinitely in both
> directions.
>
> I'll reply about US/Indiana (which IMO is *not* a timezone in any
> meaningful sense of the word) in a separate response to Tim.

I agree completely with your definitions, and I will stop calling EST and EDT
'timezones'. They are more like 'labeled offsets' -- EST and CDT both have
the same numerical offset value, but they are different 'things'.

I would call US/Eastern a 'time locale', if when you say US/Eastern you mean
all the places that set their clocks to EST in the winter and EDT in the
summer and all spring forward and fall back at the same time.

Indiana is not a single 'time locale'. According to the source Tim quoted
earlier, it intersects 2 locales (US/Eastern and US/Central), and contains a
3rd (which stays on EST year-round).

-- Wade