[Zope3-dev] The Date Time and TimeZone question

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:21:25 -0500

At 03:25 PM 3/16/02 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Please check out the tz/zoneinfo library. It's the one that handles
> > timezones, and is as far as I know included in most unices today. Again, I
> > haven't read the code for this (I haven't done time zone stuff under unix)
> > so I don't know how useful it is, but it seems weird to have a library that
> > specifies timezone information back to 19th century if the API's doesn't
> > support using it.
> > Still, weirder things been known to happen. :-)
>
>I have no desire to couple Python's standard datetime implementation
>to a 3rd party library.  Nor does Zope, I'm sure.

For what it's worth, Ty and I are committed to producing a module that lets
you read tzinfo objects a "tzcode"-format "zoneinfo database", and keeping
a current "zoneinfo database" compiled from the "tzcode" package (which is
updated pretty regularly by some people who care about timezone details a
*lot* more than Ty and I!).

Anyway, if we're going to have to do that for ourselves, I'm sure that
other people will find both the code and the database useful.  Note that
the database format is platform independent, and our code will be 100%
Python, so I'm not sure whether this counts as "coupling to a 3rd party
library".  :)

I imagine, however, that the database itself is probably inappropriate for
inclusion in the Python standard distribution; it's 120K in .tar.gz format,
and 750k in .tar format, so it takes a fair amount of disk space for such a
specialty item.  Zope, on, the other hand, as a "batteries included"-type
distribution, might want to include it for standardization's sake, perhaps
as a "zoneinfo service".