[Zope3-dev] How does Zope.Configuration work?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:32:16 -0500

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > But as we were working on our little jobboard app this week, we had to
> > write a lot of config code that was needed purely to get our app
> > working, and any changes the site admin would make to them would
> > either have no effect or break the app.  Examples: the various
> > <browser:view .../> declarations are essential for tying the
> > components of the app together, and its components are designed to
> > work together exactly in the way they are tied together.
>
> If your app is designed nicely, I should be able to look at your
> interfaces, and from them, make my own browser views of your components,
> and use my site.zml file (for example) to override your product's
> defaults so that my own view is used.
>
> Such a change should *not* break the application. If it does, I suggest
> there is too much coupling between your content component and your views.
>
> Steve Alexander

That level of flexibility is nice sometimes, but not always.

Python lets you create small one-file scripts as well as big apps
consisting of multiple nested packages.  If, in order to write a
simple script, you had to create a package and a module and a main
function and an argument parser and so on, Python would never be
popular.  I am disappointed that Zope makes much infrastructure
mandatory.  The "hello world" of Zope3 is still too big.