[Zope3-dev] How does Zope.Configuration work?

zope monkey zopemonkey@yahoo.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:45:21 -0800 (PST)

--- "R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Better get used to it.  It's a papal edict that
> making "hello world"
> > simple is not one of Zope 3's goals.
>
> However, this does *not* preclude making it
> "simpler" than it
> currently is <grin>.  I think it's just that ease of
> modification
> and integration comes ahead of hello world
> simplicity.

I think if you are going to create a "hello world"
app, then maybe you are using the wrong tool for the
job. To me, Zope 3 is an application server, meant as
a tool for developing and deploying complex
applications that are much more than a couple html
files and a guestbook script.

One should question _why_ he/she is using Zope, and
using it for "hello world" app is just an overkill,
though of course it can be done... but why use Zope
for this? "cause it is cool" is not really a good
answer, and you must look elsewhere for the best tool
for task at hand.

We use Zope cause it fits our needs very well, as most
of the contracts we have are these custom web
applications that would just be a nightmare in
mod_python.

Though building applications is a bit more complex
at the moment, and I can agree with the consern some
have, I still think it is early in the game to start
complaining too much. With complex applications,
having stuff in small pieces is nice. I think the
steps involved in actually having an admin install
the app and setup permissions and such isnt really
that big a deal, cause, at least with our firm, if
there is a need that zope doesnt provide, it gets
written.

I am fine with making complex applications easier,
and simple applications more complex... doesnt bother
me one bit.

my 2^2 cents,
Chris Humphries