[Zope3-dev] Relative links

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:04:37 -0700

OTOH: If you use the BASE href insertion, then that really encourages
ppl to use absolute urls, I think, and I think a bunch of calls to
absolute_url probably negate any performance advantage to a silent redirect.

Now I remember the argument against this tho, and it has nothing to do
with performance: How do you determine if a Zope object is a directory
or not from this point of view? Remember that it is possible to create a
document-like object in zope that acts a whole lot like a directory (it
can contain subobjects).

I think to implement this effectively we might consider a marker
interface (ICollection or somesuch) that marks the object as a
collection from the publisher's point of view.

This might also help the same problem in WebDAV and FTP publishing. You
could omit it in the case of an object that although it could contain
certain subobjects, should be treated as a leaf node by the outside world.

Any thoughts?

-Casey