[Zope3-dev] Relative links

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:50:47 +0000

Casey Duncan wrote:

> OTOH: If you use the BASE href insertion, then that really encourages
> ppl to use absolute urls, I think, and I think a bunch of calls to
> absolute_url probably negate any performance advantage to a silent redirect.

Wow, yet another reason why the BASE tag option sucks.

Someone remind me what its plus points are? ;-)
(joke, I know what they are, they just seem to be in the minority right now...)

> Now I remember the argument against this tho, and it has nothing to do
> with performance: How do you determine if a Zope object is a directory
> or not from this point of view? Remember that it is possible to create a
> document-like object in zope that acts a whole lot like a directory (it
> can contain subobjects).

It's up to the object to decide, isn't it?

> I think to implement this effectively we might consider a marker
> interface (ICollection or somesuch) that marks the object as a
> collection from the publisher's point of view.

...yup. Good plan.

> This might also help the same problem in WebDAV and FTP publishing. You
> could omit it in the case of an object that although it could contain
> certain subobjects, should be treated as a leaf node by the outside world.
>
> Any thoughts?

I like it. It's good and it even gets rid of the BASE tag, now how hard is it to
implement?

cheers,

Chris