[Zope3-dev] How does Zope.Configuration work?

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:57:40 +0100

From: "R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com>

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> > >    <include package=".JobBoardEx" file="jobboard.zcml"/>
> > >
> > This is dangerously close to programming. :-)
>
> True in some sense, false in some others <grin>.  xml configuration
> is becomming more common these days.  An end user wouldn't want
> to touch it, but a site admin probably deals with this kind of
> thing all the time.  Apache, after all, is *not* through the
> we configurable.

Well, I'd say that Apaches configuration is dangerously close to programming
to. :-)
It's darn hard to configure Apache, and to use that as a benchmark is not a
good idea.

> Not touching the zcml that comes with the delivered product is
> one of the design goals of the configuration system.

Good, then I'm happy! :-)

> The idea
> is that an application integrator (site builder has also been
> suggested as a name for this role) can tweak the product's configuration
> (substitute custom Views, etc) using configuration files external
> to the product.  (I'm not sure exactly how this works in practice.)

Well, I must say that I view site builders and application integrators as
two rather different jobs. And application integrator would be expected to
understand the internals of the applications, to be able to modify and
extend on them, while a site builder would only use them.
Thats how I would understand these words anyway. :-)