[Zope3-dev] How does Zope.Configuration work?

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:33:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Well, I'd say that Apaches configuration is dangerously close to programming
> to. :-)
> It's darn hard to configure Apache, and to use that as a benchmark is not a
> good idea.

Well, I refuse to use Microsoft's GUIs (such as regedit) as a benchmark.
I think the "don't touch that configuration file" style of configuration
is rare outside of Microsoft and end-user X apps.  And personally,
I *much* prefer that situation to an all-GUI world, even wearing
just my admin hat and not my programmer's hat.  But I'm willing to let
others build and use the GUIs, as long as I can see and hack the *real*
configuration in the configuration files <grin>.

> Well, I must say that I view site builders and application integrators as
> two rather different jobs. And application integrator would be expected to
> understand the internals of the applications, to be able to modify and
> extend on them, while a site builder would only use them.
> Thats how I would understand these words anyway. :-)

You are right, they are two different roles.  And that may be an
issue that needs to be dealt with.  Because the Site Builder is
mostly going to want to customize views, while the Application
Integrator is going to want to do more than that.  But currently
both require editing the zcml files.  Perhaps the Site Builder's
distinct needs can be met with a way of overriding views via
PageTemplates created through the web.  I think Jim has some notions
along that line.  Observe, however, that Site Building and Application
Integration shade into each other pretty thoroughly in Real Life.

--RDM