[Zope3-dev] Medusa 0.5.1 maint release, planned for inclusion in Zope?

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:00:01 -0600

At 03:34 PM 3/31/2002 -0500, Eron Lloyd wrote:
>What are the chances of integrating Twisted Python into Zope3's
>infrastructure?

This was discussed already, but Twisted does only do async, but Zope needs
a mix. For tasks that take a long time, it needs threads.

>  Outside of basic sockets, Zope and XML-RPC, I'm fairly
>new to low-level network programming, but Twisted looks like something
>that could be right up our alley. It's still actively developed,
>liberally licensed, and seems to aim to solve a lot of Python's core
>networking limitations.

Yes it is and I hope we can reuse some of their protocol-specific stuff.

>Is it too late for a deep change like this?

No it is not, but I think Shane's model is pretty good. You should look
into it.

>  What do the python experts on the list think? I'm learning more as
>of now, and could devote some energy in this area (as it's a quite
>important one). Imagine Zope as a Universal Network Conduit.....

That is my dream too. Please, please, please help writing servers for Zope
3. If you like, I can create a branch tonight, so you can look at some of
the new development in VFS and FTP stuff.

Next week I plan to finish the SOAP with Rich Salz's help; he is the author
of ZSI, the most comprehensive SOAP lib for Python.

Here are some of the servers you could work on: WebDAV, SMTP, NNTP and so on.
As mentioned before, the simple WebDAV cases will be easy once VFS is
written. SMTP would be really cool, especially in regards with Mailman 3...

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter