[Zope3-dev] renaming MementoBags..conclusions?

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 23:07:26 +0100

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> A while ago there was a private discussion concerning a possible
> renaming of IMementoBag for clarity. The outcome of this discussion
> seemed to be that 'IMetaData' is a better name for the beast.

But does a memento-bag only hold meta-data?

I think it can be used to hold a lot more kinds of data besides
meta-data of the object it is associated with. In fact, I think it will
very rarely be used to hold meta-data of an object it is associated with.

Or, perhaps there's a less-strict use of the term meta-data that I'm not
aware of.

   http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=Metadata

I would not like to confuse the ideas of "associated with an object" and
"information about an object or its structure".

> (Jim and Guido both seemed to favor this to my proposal, IAssociatedData)

I prefer this spelling because to my ear it more accurately describes
the purpose of the thing.

I prefer either name to IMementoBag, as the feature only has a marginal
relationship to the memento design pattern, and while it could be used
to hold mementos, it can be used for a wider variety of purposes otherwise.

--
Steve Alexander