[Zope3-dev] naming issues: id vs name, delObject vs ?

Matthias Urlichs smurf@noris.de
Mon, 13 May 2002 13:46:03 +0200

Hi,

>  > 2) delObject vs ?
>
>I've never considered that "delete" has a different meaning than
>"remove", and I've used and understood them pretty much
>interchangeably.  But I'm not a native speaker, and I've learned a lot
>of English through computer documentation. :-)  Is it the case that
>"delete" sounds more like "destroy"?

Keeping with traditional Unix semantics, remove is like "rm" -- it
removes a reference to the object. Other references to the object
remain unaffected.

"destroy" would force the destruction of the object so that other
references would become unuseable.
Example: destroying a cyclic data structure by breaking the cycle so
that it can be garbage-collected.

+1 on a consistent use of these terms, please.
--
Matthias Urlichs