[Zope3-dev] renaming MementoBags..conclusions?

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 17:05:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > A while ago there was a private discussion concerning a possible
> > renaming of IMementoBag for clarity. The outcome of this discussion
> > seemed to be that 'IMetaData' is a better name for the beast.
> > (Jim and Guido both seemed to favor this to my proposal, IAssociatedData)
> >
> > Does this mean that someone can now go ahead and change the code?
>
> Yes.
>
> When I first opened this thread and saw how big it was I screamed,
> but it looks like y'all had a lot of fun and came up with a good name.
>
> So, let's rename IMementoBag to IAnnotations.
>
> (Note that I sneaked an 's' on the end to reflect the collection (bag;)
>  nature of this thing.)

I know i'm coming in a bit late, but want to add one other option to
consider: IIncidentals.

The problem i have with IAnnotations is that "annotations" connotes
textual incidentals - notes, commentary.

"Incidentals" connotes secondary accompaniment - things that impinge on
but aren't intrinsic parts of the subject.

Maybe the mementos are restricted to discussions or other things that are,
in fact, commentary - in which case IAnnotations would be just right.
But if other kinds of things are also intended - registration of related
resources - then i think IIncidentals is a lot better.

--
Ken
klm@zope.com