[Zope3-dev] renaming MementoBags..conclusions?

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 11:04:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Ken Manheimer wrote:

> > Maybe the mementos are restricted to discussions or other things that are,
> > in fact, commentary - in which case IAnnotations would be just right.
> > But if other kinds of things are also intended - registration of related
> > resources - then i think IIncidentals is a lot better.

> IMHO your insight actually leads me to believe even more that
> IAnnotations is the right name.  It's true that an annotation can be
> more than a string, but we learned from Zope 2 that we have to avoid
> storing objects of non-"core" types in annotations.  Otherwise, when the
> user uninstalls something that created complex annotations, Zope can no
> longer load the annotated objects.

I wasn't suggesting that objects (or direct object references) be put in
the bags.  It's just that i see them for expressing relationships with
other objects, using indirect references to related objects - paths.
(The related objects may be relationship registries, eg catalog
indexes/organization objects.)  Those paths are still strings, but they
are not textual annotations!  I think calling them Annotations would be
misleading.

I'm starting to have some sympathy for tres' original suggestion of
MementoBags.  We're talking about something we know is useful, but i have
the feeling we do not yet have a clear shared understanding about them.
Perhaps we should go with a new, less familiar name (MementoBag or maybe
Mementos), so when we all do arrive at the shared picture, we're not
saddled with a simple, familiar, and wrong choice.

I could be wrong - i've started tracking this only recently, so it may
just be me that's got a fuzzy picture of the suckers.  Whoever is clear
enough (and trusted enough) to specify the implementation should have the
say, i guess.

--
Ken
klm@zope.com